Sunday 28 August 2011

Brand vs Logo - it's as easy as a Name Tag


Brand vs Logo
Have seen recent debate online about how clubs need to change their logo, clubs need to rebrand - and often the two get confused....  Less and less I feel - as folk start to be aware of the power of your brand (vs the small part that your logo plays in that) - but whilst the ideas are fresh in my mind - I thought I would look at the brand vs logo discussion one final time - before everyone has got it - and we need never look again....
Re-branding is NOT changing your logo - though a new logo is probably going to come about when you do re-brand - if only to give the marketeers something to show to folk and say “look, we did that, aren’t we clever”.....

Re-branding is something that takes a lot of thought before you do it - and something that requires a huge amount of effort and time to complete successfully.
If you think about your brand as who you are.  Your brand is your character - it defines you as a human - or indeed as a sports club.  If people understand your brand, then they will know how you are going to act, they know what your core values are, they know what your staff are striving for.
QPR (I seem to be picking on them a lot right now - but they have a good story going on - with Mr Fernandes in charge) - are going through a re-brand.  And (I do not think) - they are doing it without changing the logo.  The prior owners had painted the club to be perceived in a certain way - whilst the new regime wants QPR to be seen as forward reaching / fan centered / future-minded / successful - they want a new brand.
Some big decisions have been made (and publicized) to assist, and no doubt their staff have had the new plans explained and how this will impact on their work.  For a re-brand to work fully - everyone needs to buy into it - and all the little decisions, all the small pieces of work need to be carried out to help build up the big change.....
And - as I say - they don’t seem to be messing with the logo.
If the brand is your character - then your logo is you name badge.  The little piece of information that you stick on your lapel when you head down to the conference.  You can use the name badge in many different ways - and yes - the way you use it will help tell the people who see it - a lot about your logo.  See examples below to show you want I mean..... 
My name is Nic Cartwright - so my name badge should just say “Nic Cartwright”???  Well - how would you feel if you saw the following on the name badge....
  • Nic Cartwright
  • Nic
  • Mr Cartwright
  • Hi, My name is Mr Cartwright, and I am looking forward to connect with you
  • How can I help, my name is Nic
This is before we even look at using color, font or other to spice things up - lots of different messages eh...  And you need to choose the right one to refelct your brand (even though I am the same person underneath - the wrong name tag can send the wrong message)....
So - that should clear things up.  

PS - do you like my new logo (shown above!! - what does it say about my brand????)....  If you don't know yet - I am now looking for work in USA.  My new Video Resume is set up here - come and have a look....

No comments: